Peacock advertisement for The Queen’s

When the auditorium of the Abbey Theatre was damaged on 18 July 1951, the next night’s production transferred to the smaller Peacock stage on Lower Abbey Street. This image depicts the entrance to the old Peacock Theatre the following year displaying a poster for Walter Macken’s Home is the Hero, July 1952. While the main company moved operations to the Queen’s Theatre on Pearse Street, the portraits rescued from the fire remained on site in the old theatre for viewing. Some of the staff such as Seaghan Barlow, the long serving stage carpenter, also remained on site.

Back to timeline