On 27 December 1904 the Abbey Theatre first opened its doors to the public. A triple bill was performed on the night starting with two new plays On Baile’s Strand by W.B. Yeats and Spreading the News by Lady Gregory. These were followed by Kathleen Ni Houlihan by Yeats. The first words on stage were spoken by Frank Fay as Cuchullain dressed in costumes by the Abbey benefactor Miss Annie Horniman. Her largess had allowed for the purchase of the old Savings Bank on Marlborough Street and its conversion along with the old Mechanic’s Theatre, thus creating the Abbey Theatre.
Sara Allgood acted in all three production performed. Note the misspelling of her name!